THE CAN – YDP
Who we are
Curragh/Newbridge Youth Diversion Project is co-funded by the Government of Ireland and the European Union. It is based in Charlotte’s Mall in Newbridge Town, we cover the Newbridge and the Curragh areas.
We are a community based, multi-agency crime prevention initiative which seeks to divert young people from becoming involved or further involved in anti-social and/or criminal behaviour by providing suitable activities to facilitate personal development and promote civic responsibility.
We provide opportunities to participants to address their anti-social behaviour.
The YDP aims to prevent young offenders from entering into the full criminal justice.
The purpose of youth crime prevention work is to engage young people who have offended in a process of learning and development that will enable them to examine their own offending and to make positive lifestyle choices that will protect them from involvement in criminal, harmful or socially unacceptable behaviours.
For more information on funding visit: www.eufunds.ie
What we do
- Identifying young people who are at risk in the catchment area.
- The project implements a youth justice approach in working with participants that encourages social and personal development.
- Developing interventions and programmes to meet young people’s needs.
- Supports and advocate for young people
- Actively supporting young people to participate in beneficial and worthwhile activities and programmes.
- Liaising closely with parents, schools, community organisations and other agencies in the area
- Working to improve and strengthen Garda/Community Relations
- Delivering educational and developmental programmes to young people
- The YDP offers a place for young people to engage with their peers in a positive and safe way.
- The project engages young people in developmental and fun activities that support and encourage disengagement from criminal activity and promotes positive social and personal development and civic responsibility
What we offer
The CAN YDP offers a place for young people to engage with their peers in a positive and safe way.
The project engages young people in developmental and fun activities that support and encourage disengagement from criminal activity and promotes positive social and personal development and civic responsibility through:
- Individual Work
- Group Work
- Programmes focusing on topics such as Education, Employment, Career Paths, Crime Awareness, Relationships , Road Safety etc.
- Fun Activities such as Pool Tournaments, X Box , PlayStation, Cooking/Baking
- Art Projects, Craft Projects,
- Team Building Games, Various Workshops.
- Sport Activities
- Summer Programmes
- Recreational Trips
This project is co-funded by the Government of Ireland and the European Union